Tuesday 26 September 2017

Buon pomeriggio!

Buon pomeriggio!  Last night saw me venturing out - a rare occurrence!  It was the start of my Italian for beginners course and I am hoping to make a little progress with my woefully inadequate Italian.  I had thought there would be a little more work on speaking and a little less technical stuff but it might get better..  Strangely, one lady on the same table also lives in Leigh - with only 14 in the class that seemed quite a coincidence!

At the moment whenever I think of Italian I am reminded of our recent Methodist harvest festival.  Monday night is the eagerly awaited auction of produce and it is always a hotly contested affair with some quite frantic bidding for tins of beans.  The Boggy Farmer seemed desperate to get a bag of pasta and the price rose quickly which was surprising as he does not seem a pasta sort of man.  He did look a little confused when he received his hard fought prize and the mystery was solved the following day when it emerged his hearing was not 100% and he thought he was bidding for a bag of parsnips!

No Italian photos but this was an interesting one I found.
For years I have driven past the pound at Okeford and wondered at the purpose behind it and then a random internet trawl turned up this picture.  Apparently, stray animals would be herded into the pound to await rescue by their owners and this photo was from the restoration ceremony.

2 comments:

  1. HeHe! Finest language on the planet Rosemary..
    And that coming from a Sicilian..
    When you go out into the fields this evening..
    With your crook and bonnet on...Try singing...

    Little Bo-Peep ha perso la sua pecora,
    E non sa dove trovarli;
    Lasciali soli, E torneranno a casa,
    Agitando le code dietro di loro.

    I've leftover Pasta in Forno con Melanzane,
    for tea..l made last Sat! Half bottle of
    Chianti...! And some salami...! :).

    Well done Rosemary..Stick with it..! It's an
    easy language to learn, it's my first language
    of course..and, l speak Spanish and German....
    only speak though! And, get by with a bit of
    English...HeHe! Bless! :0).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIlss4YHYG0&index=3&list=PLcOCfVTnMcRkPewAnyFGWqpYsbWg99txK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure my singing voice is up to it!! But I will attempt to learn to say it! Enjoy your tea - sounds lovely!!

      Delete